The Superhero That lives Inside Your Mouth
There is an epic battle between good and evil raging in your mouth right now, and there's only one superhero who can save your teeth from cavities.
It's not a bird, and it's not a plane. It's FLUORIDE!
According to the American Dental Academy:
1. Fluoride is a mineral that is found naturally in rocks, soil and water, but fluoride doesn't exist on its own. Like so many superheroes, it's created through a scientific process.
2. When used as directed or within the context of community water fluoridation programs, fluoride is safe and effective agent that can be used to prevent and control dental caries
3. Fluoride can be delivered topically and systematically. Topical fluorides strengthen teeth already present in the mouth, making them more decay resistant, while systemic fluorides are those that are ingested and become incorporated into forming tooth structures.
4. Self-applied topical fluorides include toothpastes, mouthrinses, and gels. Professionally applied topical fluorides include higher-strength rinses, gels, and foams; fluoride varnishes; and silver diamine fluoride.
5. Many bottled waters on the market do not contain optimal levels of fluoride. In addition, some types of home water treatment systems can reduce the fluoride levels in water supplies; potentially decreasing the decay-preventive effects of optimally fluoridated water.
6. Fluoride supplements can be prescribed for children ages 6 months to 16 years who are at high risk for tooth decay and whose primary drinking water has a low fluoride concentration.